This week, Team McGladrey Member Chris DiMarco is in New Orleans for the Zurich Classic. #DidYouKnow - This marks Chris’ 17th consecutive year of playing in this tournament! He is joined by a number of members of the extended McGladrey “family” – past McGladrey Classic winners Heath Slocum (2010), Ben Crane (2011), Tommy “Two Gloves” Gainey (2012) and Robert Streb (2014).
Heath had an early start, teeing off at 7:20 a.m. CT from tee No. 10; Robert teed off shortly after at 7:40 a.m. from tee No. 1; Ben Crane was at 7:50 a.m. from tee No. 1; Chris teed off at 8:20 a.m. from tee No. 10; and Tommy is at 1:30 p.m. from tee No. 1. In preparation for this week’s tournament, the PGA TOUR shared its 10 most memorable “Animal Encounters on the PGA TOUR” recently. Among the encounters: Team McGladrey Member Davis Love III found his inner “Crocodile Dundee” at the 2008 Zurich Classic. Hopefully, the members of the McGladrey family won’t run in to the same scaly visitor during this week’s play! Good luck this week, guys!
Each year, The McGladrey Classic requires the time and talent of approximately 1,200 volunteers to ensure players and golf enthusiasts have a first-class experience while at Sea Island. Returning volunteers can now register for this year’s event (Nov. 16-22). Didn’t have an opportunity support the tournament last year? No worries. Registration for new volunteers begins June 1. To sign up, simply go to https://www.dlfvolunteers.com and enter a username and password. You’ll then create a profile, then select and submit your top three committee choices. Below is a sneak peak at some of the areas where we can use your help:
- Admissions & Will Call: Sell tickets, check credentials, and greet spectators at tournament main entrance. Also distribute tickets and credentials left at Will Call.
- Ambassadors: Act as on course greeters and ambassadors of our tournament and community. Work in small groups to assist our guests with questions/concerns. Positioned in Fan Village, Information Kiosks and high traffic areas. Need to be extremely familiar with course layout, venue locations, tournament schedule, etc.
- Caddie Services: Duties include registration, bib distribution and collection, and maintenance of caddie area. Arrange for caddie bibs and towels to be washed daily if necessary.
- Ecology - Thank you KBGIB: Responsible for collecting recyclable items and trash from the golf course, Wednesday, November 6 through Sunday, November 10, 2013. The goal is to insure a clean site for the thousands of spectators and event participants.
- Golf Channel & Sirius XM Radio: Assist The Golf Channel and XM Radio staff with various duties including carrying microphones, walking with groups to identify clubs being used, shuttling on-air talent around the course, etc. *PLEASE NOTE this committee is physically demanding.
- Laser Operators: Assist PGA TOUR staff with the compilation of player statistics. Each hole will have several volunteers to track each player’s shot using lasers. Shifts vary according to tee times. In order to ensure proper coverage, volunteers are asked to commit to a full day of service and attend a training session.
- Marshals: Provide gallery control for the tournament by monitoring all golf course crosswalks, tee boxes, greens, clubhouse, and practice areas.
- Monster Board: Will operate a large scoreboard by the 18th green. Will be positioned off the ground and provide information easily viewable by spectators. The Monster Board will list the leaders and their status relative to par on a hole-by-hole basis.
- On-Site Shuttles: Provide golf cart transportation for players and disabled guests to and from various areas.
- Player & Pro-Am Registration: Responsibilities include registration of participants, golf bag organization, distribution of player gifts, other player assistance, etc.
- Player Transportation: Coordinate and provide transportation for the players, families, and VIP’s throughout the tournament. Volunteers may be needed to pick up and drop off courtesy vehicles at various dealerships.
- Practice Range: Assist players at the practice facility with all practice needs and supplies. Maintain inventory of name signs and place in appropriate locations next to players practicing to help spectators identify players. *PLEASE NOTE this committee is physically demanding.
- Security Volunteers: Assist with checking tournament credentials at various locations on-site.
- Standard Bearers: Walk with playing groups and display their scores in relation to par. Volunteers will need to walk 18 holes with their assigned groups. Shifts vary according to tee times. *PLEASE NOTE this committee is physically demanding.
- Supply Distribution: Provide set-up, distribution and maintenance of beverages, snacks, and fruits to designated locations. Distribute spectator guides and pairing sheets to designated locations. *PLEASE NOTE this committee is physically demanding including heavy lifting.
- Volunteer Headquarters: Assist with the maintenance and management of volunteer uniforms including inventory, distribution, and sales of additional items prior to and during tournament week. Assist with other various duties in volunteer headquarters including providing immediate/temporary support to other committees and areas as needed.
- Walking Scorers: Communicate scores and statistics with a hand-held electronic device. Mandatory during the Pro-Am and a minimum of two (2) competitive rounds. Scorers are required to walk 18 holes. Training is required. *PLEASE NOTE this committee is physically demanding.
The volunteer registration fee is $80, and includes an exclusive package valued at more than $500. Each package includes one round of golf at Sea Island Golf Club (for anyone volunteering a minimum of 12 hours), two Good-Any-One-Day tickets to the tournament (good Thursday – Sunday), a POLO Golf Shirt and Outerwear piece, an Imperial golf cap or visor, a commemorative pin and a meal voucher for each shift worked.
Be sure to check back next week for more updates on Team McGladrey and the 2015 McGladrey Classic.