It’s hard to believe that the fifth annual McGladrey Classic has already come and gone. We hope you enjoyed following tournament-related activities via this blog and McGladrey’s other social media channels. As Bill Gorman, McGladrey’s Southeast regional managing partner, said recently during a Golf Channel interview, “Each year we think there’s no way we could have a better tournament and then we somehow manage to top it!”
One of the highlights from this past week (week of Oct. 20), has to be the announcement of McGladrey’s extension of our title sponsorship of The McGladrey Classic through 2020. We’re thrilled, and excited about what the future holds for this event! One thing we do know about the future is that the tournament will move next year to two courses: Seaside and Plantation, allowing The McGladrey Classic to increase its player field. The date has already been set so be sure to mark your calendars for Nov. 16-22, 2015!
While we posted daily updates throughout this year’s tournament, we thought you might enjoy a quick recap of some a few additional highlights:
· Darius Rucker Concert: We cannot express how happy we were to have Darius as part of The McGladrey Classic once again and how appreciative we were of the incredible show he put on for his fans. PGA TOUR professional, Russell Henley, even made a special appearance playing the guitar during ‘Wagon Wheel.’ And to top it all off, Darius and his band donated the entire concert to the tournament so those funds can go to charity. How AMAZING is that?! And another great example of how The McGladrey Classic and related activities have an unwavering focus on stewardship.
· Wounded Hero Home Donation: The PGA TOUR, representatives from The McGladrey Classic (including McGladrey’s very own CEO and Managing Partner Joe Adams), Bank of America and others were on hand just prior to the concert to present a Wounded Hero Home Donation, in collaboration with Birdies for the Brave and Military Warriors Support Foundation, to Gold Star Mom Reagan Gibbs!
· Military Appreciation Day: Hundreds of St. Simons Island residents and visitors greeted the Wounded Warriors during the bridge parade route to The McGladrey Classic. It was priceless. More than 100 motorcyclists led the buses carrying veterans and their family members. It was a great display of American pride.
· Volunteers: The McGladrey Classic would not be a success without the more than 1,200 volunteers who donate their time in support of the tournament year after year. Each year, we hear from guests how helpful, kind and a “part of the experience” the volunteers are to attendees. We thank those who donate their time to the tournament.
· Sea Island Staff: The Sea Island staff has always been exceptional, exceeding expectations tournament after tournament. No wonder their resorts are consistently winning five-star awards!
· McGladrey Employees and Clients: It was another successful year for The McGladrey Classic’s Birdies Fore Love program, which raises funds for charitable organizations focused on supporting children and families in need. This year, McGladrey employees and clients once again raised more than $400,000 for local and national charitable organizations. We look forward to continuing our support of Birdies Fore Love over the coming year, and through the next McGladrey Classic.
· Charity Putting Contest: Each year, one of our favorite events is a putting contest where local Special Olympics athletes are paired with PGA TOUR Professionals and supported by McGladrey “caddies” (leadership team members) for a friendly competition. The joy on the winners’ faces each year is indescribable.
Before we know it, we’ll be teeing up plans for the sixth annual McGladrey Classic (Nov. 16-22, 2015). For those who were able to attend this year’s tournament and/or for those who watched via The Golf Channel, what was YOUR favorite moment from the tournament? We would love to hear from you, particularly if it’s about something you’d like to see us continue moving forward.
Check back next week for more updates on Team McGladrey and The McGladrey Classic. We hope your Halloween is happy!