Friday, October 21, 2011
The 2011 McGladrery Classic - A Recap
It’s been four days since Ben Crane took home the trophy from the second McGladrey Classic, and three days since he and his wife Heather welcomed their third child Saylor Mackenzie to the family. It was quite a week for the Crane family, and quite a week for McGladrey, as well!
In the event that you didn’t read our daily updates from Sea Island, here are a few of the highlights:
• Caddie for Love winner Claudio Kawecki proposed to his fiancé Marissa shortly after arriving on the island – just a few hours before the RSM International Pro-Am pairings party, giving a whole new meaning to the contest’s name.
• Hall of Fame LPGA Professional Nancy Lopez conducted a golf clinic and talked about the importance of giving back to the community.
• Country singer Darius Rucker gave an awesome concert to 5,000 fans gathered on the course Wednesday evening. The fans didn’t let a little bit of rain dampen their spirits or their enthusiasm as they sang and danced the night away.
• Youth Day included a putting contest with Special Olympics and Boys and Girls Club of Southeast Georgia athletes. McGladrey leaders served as scorekeepers for the contest, and everyone went home with winning smiles on their faces.
• Military Appreciation Day honored those who have served and those who are currently serving our country. Seeing all of the red-white-and-blue on the course and watching members of our military serve as honorary observers was truly touching.
Once again, we’d like to thank the 1,200 volunteers who helped welcome more than 23,000 golf fans to The McGladrey Classic, and made sure they experienced the best in southern hospitality while at Sea Island.
We’re already looking forward to next year’s event. Go ahead and mark your calendar for Oct. 15 – 21, 2012!
Posted by Terri Andrews